Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Computers: Show me your user interfaces [!OT]

  1. #1
    Inactive Member melfice's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    4,689
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not bad. My interface is pretty much the windows standard interface, the only little tweak i can have done it is the WINAMP quick Key (CTRL+ALT+W)

    And that i don't use mouse for some tasks like shutting down the system, i use mostly the keyboard when i need to be fast (Ctrl+Esc and Execute to just open what i need, saves some clicks, and waits)

    I use the Opera browser, and i'm used to complex interface programs (photoshop, 3DSMAX 4...)

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This like the desktop thread, only you have to show your user interface (OS, window decoration, colors, gadgets, tweaks, applications you use, etc), and describe it if you want. Use as many images/non-consecutive posts as you want.

    ?????

    Because I can.

    In this picture you can see:

    ○ Running (a heavily optimized) Windows 2000, Spanish version
    ○ My UI font is Wiseman Verdana, a customized version of Verdana I made for personal use, which you can see in menus and window titles here
    ○ My fixed-spacing font is Wiseman Lucida, a customized version of Lucida Console I made for personal use, which you can see in Notepad
    ○ Semitransparent windows, optionally staying on top, controlled with the fourth button in the top-right corner of every window
    ○ You can't see but everything including webpages (only in Mozilla) fades in and out smoothly thanks to Alpha XP
    ○ Using my extended Spanish keyboard layout, with which I can type all the characters you see in Notepad and more
    ○ No system tray bullshit, only essential stuff
    ○ Using the full Mozilla suite (a real browser, like Firefox), customized as the Unus Mundus Network browser (yes, the throbber logo is nicely animated too)
    ○ Using Winamp [?It really whips the llama's ass?], which I start and stop from the start menu as you can see, where I have my categorized playlists (currently listening to Love Hina ~ Yakusoku, my favorite song ever)
    ○ Using FAR Manager, the proper file manager (what I do with FAR in 15 seconds of keystrokes, the most skilled Windows Explorer user would do in 15 minutes, lawl)
    ○ I also use Trillian (AIM plugin used most frequently) and Nero for my toasts
    ○ I write posts and stuff in Notepad, then paste it in the browser (in case I need something saved, I close the webpage, it doesn't get posted, etc. I use other editors for programming, may show in future pics.
    ○ How much I rule (you can easily perceive it in the picture) XP

    <font color="#345E81" size="1">[ May 14, 2005 12:31 PM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Because I can, part 2

    In this picture you can see:

    ○ I'm running SuSE Linux using KDE. That's the default window decoration set for root, I like it.
    ○ Windows fonts.
    ○ FreeType is considerably slower, but it looks considerably better than Windows' TrueType renderer (both the original and the ClearType one) IMO. This screenshot is in JPEG format so text has lost a bit of quality. If only everything used it. Most bundled software in the SuSE distribution will, but most X software won't and in those who don't, text looks like pig shit.
    ○ Good Unicode support (again, only in some applications).
    ○ I'm running Windows' Character Map with WINE (API-level emulation, actual code execution).
    ○ Transparent console (trivial).
    ○ I'm running as root. It's silly to analify yourself with restricted permissions when you know what you're doing. It's Windows end-users who should be running as a heavily restricted user so they don't screw it up.
    ○ I've installed the nVidia accelerated drivers (don't have much to use them with though).
    ○ That's not Winamp but XMMS, although I'm using the Winamp skin. I seem to be the only person in the world who likes the default Winamp skin.
    ○ Tux is in my desktop, walking over my windows.
    ○ I'm running a web server to host web sights in the intarweb (actually, I was testing Apache 2 worked).

    I use Linux when I have a good reason to.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member melfice's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    4,689
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is there any way to use unicode under windows 98? i think i have installed the DLL's, but i'm not suer on how to use it.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT Melfice: Make sure you've installed the Microsoft Layer for Unicode. Applications must explicitly support Unicode for this to work, so you'll have support in Mozilla, Microsoft Office, and a few select tools. Unfortunately, no Windows yet has an UTF-8 locale, so there's no way to make 8-bit char applications work with Unicode, even if they work with Shift_JIS in the Japanese locale which is multibyte just as UTF-8. Ask Microsoft why are they still supporting locales.

    BTW, if you're running Windows 98 in Spanish, your locale is es_ES.CP1252 and you're using the Windows-1252 8 bits codepage. If you can see the character: ▲ which is U+25B2 BLACK UP-POINTING TRIANGLE, you have at least font-level Unicode support.

    <font color="#345E81" size="1">[ May 22, 2005 09:18 AM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member melfice's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    4,689
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Up triangle confirmed... though i'd like to use unicode completely instead of the all life ASCII, i guess Win98 simply didn't had that support. No matter.

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I strongly recommend you to use Windows 2000 instead of Windows 98; it's faster, more reliable, more powerful, more serious, and so on, and it has real, native Unicode support (kernel and applications (save for legacy) are always UTF-16; only the console windows are fucked up and won't do Unicode right at all).

    All you need is a Pentium ][ and 64 MB RAM - Windows 2000 will work perfectly in that setting (depending on what you want to run, of course, but that's also for Windows 98); I can tell you which services to disable for extra RAM savings.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Ryudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2002
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A bunch of kanji you have there, Migue o_O And the transparent windows are cool!

    My user interface is... mmm... Windows XP with the Win 98 look and without special effects (like transparent things).

    I saw the other day a Mac's interface, hehe. When you put the cursor in dunno-what place all windows moves out of screen letting you see the desktop. Also when you get an error message screen flashes. Whoopie!

    Qu? hago hablando en ingles? Si solo han posteado estos dos XDDDD

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    S?, parece que este hilo no ha tenido mucho ?xito...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •